Olympic Air - Home
KNIGHT'S CASTLE

The fortress -Kos’ major medieval monument- was built by Knights of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, who conquered the island in 1314. The castle’s draw bridge connects it to the city and the Hippocrates’ Plane Tree. The “Bitter Lemon Castle” –thus named for the eponymous trees growing in its courtyard- along with the fortified Knights Hospitaller positions in nearby Bodrum on the Turkish coast, allowed the complete domination of the sea way to the Holy Land, throughout the later Crusades. For the castle’s building, the ancient monuments of the town of Kos provided the needed material, visible even today.

ARCHAELOGICAL MUSEUM & CASA ROMANA

In this majestic building, a legacy of the island’s Italian occupation and a good example of fascist-modernist architecture, are housed important exhibits from the excavation of the ancient forum and other sites, such as the temple of Dionysus, the Odeon and the Casa Romana.

HOME OF THE COMMODORE FRANCISCO SANS

This beautiful edifice on Miaoulis Quay, is the only non religious building still standing from Kos’ days as the Knight’s dominion. Built in 1514 by the island’s Commodore, Francisco Sans, it was turned into a cafe during Ottoman times. After its recent renovation, it houses today the Archaeological Library and hosts occasional exhibitions.

KNIGHT'S CASTLE

preloader
The fortress -Kos’ major medieval monument- was built by Knights of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, who conquered the island in 1314. The castle’s draw bridge connects it to the city and the Hippocrates’ Plane Tree. The “Bitter Lemon Castle” –thus named for the eponymous trees growing in its courtyard- along with the fortified Knights Hospitaller positions in nearby Bodrum on the Turkish coast, allowed the complete domination of the sea way to the Holy Land, throughout the later Crusades. For the castle’s building, the ancient monuments of the town of Kos provided the needed material, visible even today.


ARCHAELOGICAL MUSEUM & CASA ROMANA

preloader
In this majestic building, a legacy of the island’s Italian occupation and a good example of fascist-modernist architecture, are housed important exhibits from the excavation of the ancient forum and other sites, such as the temple of Dionysus, the Odeon and the Casa Romana.
Address: Eleftherias square,
T +30 22420 28326
The museum will remain closed throughout 2013.

Casa Romana
One of Kos’ most impressive sights, this faithfully renovated Roman home was initially excavated in the 1930s, after the terrible 1933 earthquake that devastated the town. Thanks to the Italian administration’s efforts, the Roman villa was brought to light and rebuilt according to ancient standards. Its luxurious appointment and rich decorations have convinced archaeologists that this was the home of a rich Roman family.

HOME OF THE COMMODORE FRANCISCO SANS

preloader
This beautiful edifice on Miaoulis Quay, is the only non religious building still standing from Kos’ days as the Knight’s dominion. Built in 1514 by the island’s Commodore, Francisco Sans, it was turned into a cafe during Ottoman times. After its recent renovation, it houses today the Archaeological Library and hosts occasional exhibitions.


FORUM AND OLD HARBOUR

Under the ruins left behind by the earthquake of 1933, archaeologists discovered the ancient town’s street plan, with its public buildings, temples and homes. Parts of the ancient forum –perfectly visible today- were excavated and dated to the 4th and 3th centuries BC, along with the Great Arcade and other, smaller such arcades replete with their temples. In the town centre, stood the Odeon (3rd century BC) with 12 well preserved rows of seats and its arched arcade, as well as parts of the 2nd century BC Gymnasium with 16 intact columns and two public baths.


ASCLEPEION

Dedicated to the god of Medicine, widely renowned since Antiquity, the island’s most important monument was built in the 4th century BC, on the slope of a verdant hill with an amazing sea view. There, the medical school founded by Hippocrates, laid the foundations of modern medicine. Visit the perfectly preserved arcade, the thermal spring complex, the Ionian style temple to Asclepius and other smaller temples and the grandiose Doric temple of the God of Healing.

HIPPOCRATES' PLANE TREE

This immense tree, with a trunk circumference of 12 metres, is believed to have been planted by Hippocrates himself, 2,400 years ago. Under its shade, the world’s first medical school held its lectures. Next to the gigantic tree, notice the two Ottoman fountains.

FORUM AND OLD HARBOUR

preloader
Under the ruins left behind by the earthquake of 1933, archaeologists discovered the ancient town’s street plan, with its public buildings, temples and homes. Parts of the ancient forum –perfectly visible today- were excavated and dated to the 4th and 3th centuries BC, along with the Great Arcade and other, smaller such arcades replete with their temples. In the town centre, stood the Odeon (3rd century BC) with 12 well preserved rows of seats and its arched arcade, as well as parts of the 2nd century BC Gymnasium with 16 intact columns and two public baths.




ASCLEPEION

preloader
Dedicated to the god of Medicine, widely renowned since Antiquity, the island’s most important monument was built in the 4th century BC, on the slope of a verdant hill with an amazing sea view. There, the medical school founded by Hippocrates, laid the foundations of modern medicine. Visit the perfectly preserved arcade, the thermal spring complex, the Ionian style temple to Asclepius and other smaller temples and the grandiose Doric temple of the God of Healing.



HIPPOCRATES' PLANE TREE

preloader
This immense tree, with a trunk circumference of 12 metres, is believed to have been planted by Hippocrates himself, 2,400 years ago. Under its shade, the world’s first medical school held its lectures. Next to the gigantic tree, notice the two Ottoman fountains.


LOGGIA OTTOMAN MOSQUE

Built by Gazi Pasha in 1786, the mosque is located next to Hippocrates’ Plane Tree. Visit its wide antechamber and richly decorated interior.

LOGGIA OTTOMAN MOSQUE

preloader
Built by Gazi Pasha in 1786, the mosque is located next to Hippocrates’ Plane Tree. Visit its wide antechamber and richly decorated interior.